What? A whole club relay race to cumulatively swim the distance of the English channel in a night! That’s 34km- or 1360 lengths!
Where/When? At Castlemilk swimming pool on Monday the 26th March 6.30-8.30 then Raffle until 9 (normal training session)
Why? The money raised is going to be split, with half going to Kingston, and the other half to the Strathclyde- Malawi 2012 project.
What is the Strathclyde- Malawi project and where does that half of the money go? Well it involves 8 students from Strathclyde, (myself, Ciaran Brady included) spending 5 weeks in Malawi working on several ongoing projects such as:
- Working with Malawian university students and Malawian Executives to help promote woman’s rights.
- Volunteering at several Open Arms orphanages helping with the running of the place and the care of the children.
- Covering building costs and participating in the building of a nursery at one of the orphanages.
- Teaching English at primary schools.
For more information see www.strath.ac.uk/malawi/ or ask me.
“What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But if that drop was not in the ocean, I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. I do not agree with the big way of doing things.”
Also, through the charity Marys Meal’s as little as £7 can feed a child in Malawi for a year! See www.marysmeals.org.uk
How you can help?
- Participate in the sponsored swim.
- Volunteer as a length counter on the night .
- Bring anything that can be raffled.
P.S. – There is a prize for the person who raises the most money!!!